Organizing TIP of the WEEK:
organize the pantry
You don’t have to go as far as alphabetizing the spice rack, but a well organized pantry simplifies meal planning, preparation, and food shopping. Steps:
1) It’s important to clean out your pantry every 6 months. Pull all items out onto the kitchen table and discard anything that is stale, spoiled or expired
2) Wipe down the shelves and walls. Evaluate which organizers to purchase like spice shelves, bins, baskets, hooks or wall mounted organizers that will maximize space and make pantry items easier to find.
3) Use canisters to hold dry goods such as flour, sugar, coffee and cereal. Label accordingly. Small items such as teabags, spice packets, oatmeal packets and dried fruit can go into bins or baskets.
4) Put spices on a tiered shelves or a lazy susan. Move your bulky bottles of olive oil, vinegar, soy sauce and other sauces to a lazy susan as well, they’ll be much easier to reach.
5) Label the shelves to keep things in their proper place.
6) Purchase other handy space savers to corral goods: stacking containers, caddies to store foil and wax paper, sturdy baskets for onions, garlic and potatoes.
See all Peter’s tips